Sunday, July 13, 2008

Man boobs, bahnz' a nahnz', and Beach Haven

For an "alter kacher" like me, which is to say, a guy over 50, the persistent problem I have to have to deal with is my man boobs and something I like to call "bahnz ah nahnz".....translated literally from the Neopolitan dialect as "stomach in front".



Oh how to get rid of it.......not an easy task! Maybe it's just easier to live with what I've already accomplished and own the fact that, in these 2 areas, genetics work against me.



Nah......too easy an out!


So, to that end, diet plays an important role. Outside of my one "cheat day", which was yesterday at Beach Haven on the Jersey Shore (which I'll tell you about in a little bit).....I've been sticking to the following regimen:

Muscle Milk protein shake after my morning workout (consisting of blueberries, a banana, some nonfat yogurt, and skim milk.


The rest of the shake at 11 AM.



Lunch is whatever my wife made the night before....broken up into 2 meals.....one at 1:30, and the other at 4.....and then dinner at 8. We keep the simple carbs like bread and sugar out, and add as side dishes vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, and spinach. Occasionally I'll have a glass of red wine with dinner. As of this morning, my weight is at 182.



Now for the Beach Haven part of the show.

Outside of the dangerous undertow at the shore yesterday....we had a blast! A couple of margaritas at the tiki bar...and a stop at a place called Show Time for ice cream made it a fine day. I had the "Music Man" sundae.......fudge, walnuts, whipped cream, lots of vanilla ice cream, and peanut butter to boot! What makes this place a trip is not just the sundae, but what you have to do once you've ordered it and start schiaffing it down! You have to sing about it at the waiter's prodding. We had a kid named Walter be our server. He dimed me out and had me sing a parody of "Macho Man" by the Village People, with the lyrics, ".....music, music, music man....I gotta have my music man."


There is an incriminating video that'll verify this.....when my sister sends it to me, I'll post it.


I will say this......even if you have "performance anxiety", you can turn into a Pavarotti just by having one of these sundaes. Well worth the trip!

Note to Diane:

Sounds to me like you've worked out a very manageable plan for yourself. Here's what's going to set you back....and it's a problem we all have to a degree........eating late! I try not to eat past 8PM but my hour are such that most nights we go to 8:30 or 9. I'm not happy with that, but it is what it is! What I try and do is supplement with some fruit later on to pick on, instead of cookies or ice cream. That's where you'll see a difference...at least I think so.

Note to Brian,

Thanks for the kind offer......we'll hook up this coming Friday and see how it all goes.

Note to the chervinators:

Both of you have always been most encouraging.....I really do appreciate all the kind words and suggestions you've given me. It's because of guys like you that I write this, and make every attempt to stay true to it.

7 comments:

OceanCoGirl said...

Hi Ray-- Glad you had a great time in Beach Haven yesterday. The ice cream parlour you visited is Show Place (not Show Time), winner of a NJ Excellence in Tourism award in 2006. If you want to visit the parlour again and guarantee that you WON'T get called to perform, check out Surflight Theatre's online auction at www.surflight.cmarket.com - where you can buy "immunity" for Show Place...for 2008 and even for 2009 as well. Show Place & Surflight are owned/operated by the same nonprofit organization. Thanks so much for the nice words about our venue. We appreciate it.Have a great summer!

raysnj1015blog said...

Whatever the name of the place is....it's great! The kind of place that puts you in a good mood as soon as you walk in....we had a ball that night!

And thanks for the kind offer. We hope to be back soon....on another "cheat day"!

Diane said...

Hey - Think of all the good attributes you have and over time you will see a change even from what you have already accomplished in the areas you are not so fond of!

I like the fact that you are able go out and have a slamming ice cream Sundae. The Chervinators said something that hit home with me big time. They blogged “MODERATION” and “TREAT” instead of “CHEAT”!!!! Those are so important in NOT DIETING but instead creating a food plan that will be do-able for life. I try to be the perfect dieter and I go 100% either way….On or off! Every time I do this ……I gain weight and get frustrated! I like the honesty and commitment idea along with formulating a meal plan that is healthy but very reasonable to live with.

Ray- your blogs support honesty, commitment and dedication to get to the goal you want…Thanks for that! I want that same strength and know if you are doing it I can do it too! Also- I appreciate your thought on the nighttime eating. Eating something light and healthy (like fruit) can fill that desire I often have at night. I also must keep it real and recognize eating earlier sometimes isn’t possible, especially if I don’t want to order take out!

It’s really weird but through these blogs I am finding out more stuff about myself. I must say (at the risk of sounding corney) that for the first time in a long time I am feeling really strong about getting healthy and even having fun doing it. I feel for the first time very hopeful! Thank you for these blogs!

RECAP
1. Last Week- Introduced workout routine for both cardio & weights
2. Recognized eating habits. Eating light after 8:00 pm is a must!
3. Being Honest with the foods that go into my mouth and confessing when I mess up without feeling like I just committed a major crime.

This Week- Not having any REFINED SUGAR FOODS!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH! But necessary in order to lose weight and be healthy! (I know by the time you read this I will be going through sugar withdrawals and I will not be a happy camper for a few days!) The payoff for this is big and I am very READY for IT!!!!

Thanks again for your support, thoughts and comments,
DZ

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiana said...

Hi Ray, I think your a wonderful guy with a lot of old fashion heart and soul. I listen too you everyday and wanted to tell you in the diet thing your not alone. Lol! I don't have man boobs issue (i have the real ones) but a bit on the chunky side and hearing you going on this diet has inspired me to get back to my old weight(not saying yet, maybe as months go on; but im not over 190lbs) its hard for me to focus cause i need a challege or something to shoot for. I've kinda challenged myself against you to see if i can reach a respectable goal by the sametime you do. I will be giving you updates as you go but to know you have days where you get up and say why, or dont go comes very often for me. Keep it real and thanks for helping peps like myself.

Kimmber said...

We spend the week down in Beach Haven West last week. Show Place was on our "to do" list, but we never made it there. I will definitely be hitting it up soon... after I go to the online auction to get my immunity!

expert author said...

Here's what you need to do to Lose Man Boobs...

1. Start adding Turmeric into your Diet. Turmeric is a spice (in the ginger family). It's been used for hundreds of years and is totally safe. The benefit of adding Turmeric to your diet is that it concentrates fat burning to the chest area. This little wonder spice will make your workouts a LOT more effective.

2. Do cardio every other day for only 25 minutes at a time at an intense pace. You want short, high intensity cardio workouts because these workouts will put your body into anaerobic fat burning mode (as opposed to aerobic mode). If you run too much you'll burn muscle along with the fat and your man boobs will sag much more.

3. Do a lot of inclined bench press, shoulder press and chest fly exercises. Use dumbells for these. Dumbells will force your chest to use its stabalizer muscles which will be more effective for burning chest fat. The idea of the incline bench press is to raise your muscle and pull up the loose hanging skin from your nipple area. It works!

4. Eat 6 small meals a day to boost your metabolism and put fat burning into overdrive. By eating smaller meals more frequently in conjunction with your new workout routine, your body will become a fat burning machine. Also as you continue the weight lifting regimen, your newly grown muscles will steal energy from fat stores in your body and get you ripped!

5. Have a plan. Don't just go into everyday all willy nilly with no real goal. Setup a workout schedule if you're serious. Never quit. Remember, it's more than just your appearance at stake - think about your health. Stay motivated and don't stop believing!!!

For the REAL DEAL step by step workout plans and secrets to losing chest and belly fat FAST, visit:
http://www.Man-Boobs-Begone.com