Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Calling All Members of the Rossi Posse:

I could use a little help with a friend who’s in a fair amount of distress and doesn’t know where to turn….and I know that you, as being part of the greatest audience in the world, would be only too glad to help!

I like to think I have the words to inspire people to do more about their physical appearance and mental outlook….but there are times when those challenges are quite daunting, even for little ol’ me, and this is one of them!

Here’s the deal…..I have a friend named Carlo. Nice guy. I met him years ago when I worked at the New York Country station. At the time, he was a broadcasting student taking a class that a friend of mine was teaching. Carlo and I bonded right away, both of being of a working class Italian background. At the time, Carlo weighted around 500lbs. He’d probably tell you he rivaled the guy who played JoJo the Whale in the movie “A Bronx Tale”.

Anyway, since that time, Carlo lost 300 of those pounds…mainly with the help of some gastric bypass…but also through modifying his diet and some exercise.

Since that time, he’s taken up stand up comedy and has a nice little thing going for himself. What is not working out for him right now is his love life! The other day he called me to tell me that he’s at wits end trying to deal with the flab that he’s accumulated from the weight loss….and it’s because of that that he feels as though he looks like a “sharpee” when he’s undressed. I guess he’s had a few ladies recoil in horror at the sight of that! What to do short of putting a bag over their heads?

That’s where you come in.

I could tell him that he’d need to work on firming up whatever flab he’s got around his waist with sit ups and crunches…and I’m sure you’d agree that he needs to continue exercising. But I’m sure there has to be a medical component in working out his situation as well.

As I’ve so often said, whatever you can offer by way of suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

If you’d like to reach out to him personally, I’ll give you his myspace address:

It’s http://www.myspace.com/clemenzascafe

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this. I’ll give you my own progress report in the next blog.

Ray

6 comments:

pertyface said...

Ray,
what about seeing a cosmetic dr to get rid of the excess fat? Just a suggestion. But exercise is the best thing. The women that he is with are superficial, and that is not good either. Tell him to keep looking.

Unknown said...

Ray,
Tell Carlo to check out www.njmakeoverteam.com! I heard about this on your radio station and actually won one of the makeovers. It changed my life in so many ways. Maybe my writing to you about it is the full circle.

Elainr

JO said...

I happen to watch some shows on discovery etc, and usually after losing 300lbs. excersise might tighten up some muscles, but its never going to take away the flab. I believe that must be surgically removed. Kudos to your friend for losing all that weight now maybe with surgery he can REALLY FEEL GOOD ABOUT HIMSELF. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Anonymous said...

if the "hangover" is causing irritation ie rashes etc. his medical insurance may cover the excess skin removal...he also may be able to donate the excised excess to a skin bank(yep there is such a thing) to help burn victims. super job on the 300lb loss btw.

Helena said...

Hi Ray,
Nice to talk to you again. The last time I stopped by the station during the rib eating contest, "You ate my rib!" That was one hot, spicy rib Robert made.

Anyway, Carols should be commended and always very proud of his weight loss. Fantastic! Now, unfortunately, the only way to get rid of this excess skin, etc. is with a very serious, dangerous plastic surgery procedure. I've been a R.N. with Critical Care exp. > 35 yrs. The problem can be with the loss of too much blood loss, fluid loss, volume loss at one time, hemorrhage, infection, etc. But, not to totally worry. Physicians in the Plastic Surgery Field who do this Procedure a lot, do it well! Start by contacting larger Medical Center referral lines near him. Staten Island and NYC both have fantastic Plastic Surgeons. They really should be Bd. Certified too. With this type of procedure who want the best of the best. Ask a lot of questions and bring a friend with him. "How many of these procedures have you done this year? What kind of complications can arise from this surgery? Whomever Carols chooses as a Dr. should answer all his questions and not shy away or change the subject from any question. Finally, anyone can go to their local State of Consumer Affairs Dept. and check a Dr's License to ensure the Dr. is properly Licensed to do surgery in any particular field. This also includes their local BD of Medical Society too.
My hubby & I have been married > 33 yrs and he recently ballooned up in his weight to 360 lbs from when we 1st married 190 lbs. Well, his endocrine system is a mess and now that everything is finally getting back into order, his weight has come down @ 50 lbs. Carlos seems to have had bad luck with the Ladies. Remember, not all of us judge a book by it's cover. It seems a those ladies were very shallow!
Best of Luck.
hstrasko

Anonymous said...

There is a show "Jon and Kate plus 8" she had a set of twins and a set of six(setuplets) and she hated her overstretched skin that she underwent a tummy tuck.

This is what your friend might have to get. After all, dropping all of that wieght and years of overstretching the skin...it might be in his best interest to look into.

Best wishes to your friend.
There is someone for everyone out there......always remember that .