Monday, January 19, 2009

Nice Try

Had the Eagles won the NFC championship…..difficult though it may have been to take….I would have rooted for them to win it all!

Yes you’ve read right…..I’d have jumped on the bandwagon. However, the thought would have been unbearable….it’s just not in my DNA. Hurts my hair just thinking about it….and I don’t have much to begin with!

But all that aside, I am truly sorry for Eagles fans not seeing their team get to play in the big one. (Ok, maybe not that sorry, but still….) I never liked jumping on anyone’s grave….it’s bad karma. In fact, if you can believe this, I actually had the blog all written out as to why I would have rooted for the Eagles. And no, I don’t think I put the mallocchio on them by writing it before the game…I think my reasons for wanting to see them win are pretty valid….at least in my mind.

And here are the reasons:

Number 1: Many of my friends and close associates are Philly sports fans….they bleed Phillies red and Eagles Green. During the Giants improbable run to the Super Bowl last year, one of them watched with me and audibly cheered when Eli Manning got to hoist the Lombardi trophy. Yeah, I know that he silently wanted to barf, but at least he had the grace to take delight in something that, to him, must have been like getting a root canal.

Don’t you think that the least I could have done was to return the favor?

Another of my Philly fan friends is actually a stage 4 cancer patient. I was with him the day the Phillies clinched the National League East….in fact, I made sure to juice the sound up on the TV so he could see and hear the climactic moment as Joe Buck proclaimed the Phillies champions of the National League East! (I know, I’m about to be canonized St Erasmo of Jersey!)

Number 2: Everyone likes a good comeback story…and this one would have had all the makings of a gem! It wasn’t too too many weeks ago that the chant was, “Andy Reid’s a bum, Donovan McNabb should be run out of town”…blah, blah, blah. You had to figure Donovan was done when, after the Bengals game, he was asked if he knew the game could end in a tie…and he didn’t know! Ooo faa! That made me think back to the “aw shucks” looks that Eli Manning would give whenever he’d throw a pick, and I pretty much knew…yes, I know that feeling. All you need do is substitute the names Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning for Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb; and the similarities hit you in the face.

The life lesson here could easily have been that you’re never really out of it….as long as you have a pulse and the will! Well, it sure looked like they had the will when they beat the Giants……not so much with the Cards. So I guess the chants of “Andy Reid’s a bum, Donovan McNabb should be run out of town”…will start all over again!

On February 1st, there will be a Super Bowl party at the Rossi mansion, and even though there won’t be any Eagles tchochkis …you gotta at least give me credit for making an effort! No? Besides, pitchers and catchers real soon, then the fun really starts!

6 comments:

bean said...

ray - the eagles just are plan sloppy players - dont feel bad for the fans - the fans should tar and feather the team!

bean said...

so ray - you have to review comments from your bloggers? - casey dont!

raysnj1015blog said...

Oh, but I do!

LG_Imaging said...

boooooo sports talk. lol

raysnj1015blog said...

why all the hate?

Anonymous said...

Hey Ray long time listener.
Your thought on the Eagles is rite on point. How ever I believe this coming football season your gonna see two important things happen. Your gonna finally see the Maimi Dolphins make it to the wild card an loose horribly. Next your gonna watch Dallas Shoot them selves in the foot for another season. By putting all there faith in T.O. Over paid Cry baby he is. I'll call it Eagles Vs. ? Super Bowl.

Well from your friends at Somerville Well Drilling Cental NJ

Brian



ps. can we get a on air shout out?
myspace.com/wellman420