Monday, January 26, 2009

190 and counting…….

I’m sure you’re aware of Oprah Winfrey’s well documented battle with her weight. She now claims that she’s fallen off the wagon and ballooned to 200 pounds. No more cover shots of her anymore from the midsection on down!

Not that I’m comparing myself to her…but you’d have to figure it had to be easier for her stick to a plan….when you have untold millions and God knows how many people in your employ hired specifically to make sure that you’re up at 4 in the morning to work out and eat right! So how is it she falls off the wagon…..and if she can’t stick to a plan, how much harder is it going to be for me….or for that matter, for you!

This morning, after having a weekend of Chinese food, birthday cake, and God knows what else…..I got on the scale in the gym and had my first case of full blown denial. “No, this thing has to be *&^%$#ed up, can’t be right!” The big one nine oh! Red zone a go go……just where I don’t want to be. Marching backwards!

So, how does one rededicate oneself to the plan that you thought would be so easy to do once you got into a routine?

This morning was a good start….workout at 6, home by 7:15, black coffee, protein shake, and here I am by the computer hoping that I’ll be able to formulate something for the rest of the day, and, for that matter, for the week! I know how hard it is each day to stick to a plan, especially when, in the morning, the bed is so warm and comfy! Is it the same for you and have you had the same epiphany? If so, let me know, and fill me in on what you’re doing to get back on track..and better still, to stay on track!

Even the "trainer" needs a boost every now and then.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

You know, it's never easy getting back on the fitness wagon once you've fallen off but my best advice is just get yourself up and out. That's the hardest part. I often wake up from my warm bed when the alarm sounds at 5AM not wanting to so much as move, but I bargain with myself. I tell myself that today's going to be an easy day and I only have to work out for 10 minutes. By the time I get outside and start running or get to the gym, I'm already in the zone and before I know it an hour has passed.

It really is hard to keep going sometimes, but I get by with the 3 P's - patience, practice and persistence. Employing all three of those things has helped me to lose 130lbs, keep it off and go on to tackle marathons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/letsgetdecadent/sets/72157604056149320/


-Kristen
Philadelphia
krfaughnan@gmail.com

Lorraine in Mullica Hill said...

Hey...Ray man. Kudo's to you for working out in the a.m.. I wish I could. My husband, my son and I decided to join a fitness club this year and have been trying to get there in the early evenings at least 2x a week and once over the weekend. We're up at 5:30 and on the road by 6:00 so morning workouts don't fit in. I have to tell you that after a 12-hour day (I don't get home until 6:30) it's really hard to find the energy to drag myself to the gym, then come home and make dinner, eat and clean up after. I don't get done until 10PM on those nights. But I'm trying. Like you, we are in our 50's and have noticed it's somehow gotten harder to do things where before it was second nature...like walking from the car to the house! Anyway, I wanted to let you know that you did inspire me to take this step since I heard about your journey to becoming a fitness guru. Thanks for the idea.
Lorraine from da Bronx, Brooklyn,Little Neck, Huntington-Long Island and currently Mullica Hill.

Mary Elise said...

Ray, I find that starting an exercise program in the winter very hard. Of course, the humid summer isn't much better. My work schedule doesn't allow for morning workouts. As soon as I walk in the door after work and before I start anything else, I change into my workout gear and get right out the door to walk. Fortunately, I live in a nice area for walking. Besides my neighborhood, I live close to the boardwalk and the reservoir nearby has a great walking path. I've always found starting in the spring easier, since I have the sun longer in the afternoon and the weather is tolerable. Once I'm used to exercising, the extremes of cold and heat don't bother me. I had an injury in my leg last year so I'm starting over again this year. My favorite workout is kickboxing and I hope to get back to that once the walking gets me in shape again.

Best of luck to you!

MaryElise

MaryS said...

Ray, u may think this is not the same, I have the opposite problem, I NEED 2 gain weight. I eat like a hog, and I so tired of hearing "I wish I had ur body". I have 2 exercise 2 so I do not get flabby and weak. As I get heavier I get a big gut which on a women is not 2 nice! We may have different goals but also sorta the same.Iam 2 thin (not skinny). Bed not so warm, but still don't wanna get up. I guess I'm saying being thin (not skinny) Isn't always what it"s cracked up 2 b. So I say everyone do what u need 2 do 2 make u happy with ur self and never give up!!!!!! Love U guys U make my day.

Unknown said...

from what I see of your profile..your a hot looking guy for mid 50's but still... just try to keep to a goal that is realistic...maybe the weight watcher point system and if you are good at the exercise thing (I hate it personally) commit to that