Thursday, September 18, 2008

God bless you if you’re a nurse……

You never know how much you appreciate the people that make up a particular profession until you really need them. Remember back in the day when you’d see bumper stickers that read, “Next time you’re being robbed, call a hippie!”

Well, if I wore a hat, I would tip it to anyone in the nursing profession! They truly do the the work of God here on earth. Imagine having to work long shifts attending to some people who could drive a saint to the brink of insanity! Cleaning, medicating, comforting, wiping butts, the whole 9 yards, and all the while smiling as though that patient were the most important person on earth. Good God! Do you think you’d have anything left “in the tank” once you got home?

The reason I say this is because over the past week my wife was hospitalized after undergoing emergency surgery for severe diverticulitis. And while I think she’s a pretty good patient, if I may be so biased, I had to marvel at the great care she received from the nursing staff at the hospital where her surgery was performed. And, no, I did not play the Ray Rossi card either! She could have been anybody’s wife, mother, sister…and I have to believe that they all would have risen to the occasion.

I would be completely remiss if I didn’t acknowledge their hard work and dedication, and for helping put my wife in a more comfortable state over the last week.

If you’re a nurse……God bless you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ray, with all there is to complain about in regard to healthcare these days, thank you for recognizing the work of nurses. Economic and regulatory demands are constantly pulling us away from the reason we became nurses--the patients. Recognition for the work we do helps make it worthwhile at times when it can be extremely frustrating to be a nurse. I'm glad the nurses caring for your wife left a positive impression during unfortunate circumstances, and I hope she's recovering well. Thanks - A NJ Nurse

Rae said...

Ray, I hope your wife recovers quickly. My co-worker had a double masectomy in July and I have to give kudos to those nurses and Dr's as well, she is now under going chemo treatments and her nurses are awesome. I will see you and Casey at the Quaker Bridge Mall on 10/10!!

Unknown said...

I support ray's blog 100% as I believe that the only noble job left in this health industry is that of a nurse....
God bless the nurse!!!

Anonymous said...

HEY RAY... EVEN THO I HAD 2 LOOK UP THAT WORD AND WHAT IT MEANT AND SYPTOMS AND EVERYTHING ABOUT IT, YOUR WIFE HAS MY CONDOLENSES AND I HOPE SHE FEELS BETTER. IM SORRY THIS OBSTICAL WAS THROWN YOUR WAY AND I HOPE THE BEST 4 YOU AND HER 4 THE FUTURE. AND 4 THE NURSES, I TRIED GOING 2 THE BEGINERS CLASSES 4 NURSING BUT I COULDNT UNDERSTAND MY TEACHER SO I DROPPED OUT BUT MY AUNT IS A NURSE AT ATLANTIC CITY MEDICAL CENTER IN GALLOWAY AND I SAW A BOOK SHE WAS READING, AND THIS BOOK WAS MASSIVE AND SHE HAD ALMOST THE WHOLE BOOK HIGHLIGHTED 4 WHAT SHE HAD 2 REMEMBER. THE BOOK WAS PROBABLY THICKER THAN ALL THE HARRY POTTERS BOOKS PUT 2GETHER. NURSES, DOCTORS, AND FIREFIGHTERS ARE ALL THE TRUE DEFINITION OF A HERO. THOSE SHOULD BE THE EXAMPLES THAT ALL DICTIONARYS SHOULD HAVE NEXT 2 THE DEFINITION. RAY... I WILL PRAY 4 YOU AND YOUR WIFE. GOD BLESS BOTH OF YOUS.

PATRICIA MULLEN said...

MY NAME IS PATRICIA MULLEN AND I LISTEN TO YOUR SHOW ALL THE TIME. I APPRECIATE WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT NURSES BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN A NURSE FOR 25 YEARS

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ray!
I'm a Physician Assistant in a Trenton hospital, and while your praise is directed toward the nurses it's nice to see that someone appreciates people who provide care under what are sometimes the worst circumstances. Understaffed and overworked, the nurses I work with on our surgical floor and in the OR are the best!
Best wishes to Mrs. Rossi for a speedy recovery and I'll catch you on the air when "it's time...to opine!"

marianne said...

thank you we are a very underappreciated group

a dedicated listener said...

Thanks for recognizing nurses. Nurses are underpaid and overworked, but we love what we do. I have been a nurse for 46 years and still love what I do. Thanks again and I hope you wife recovers quickly.

a dedicated listener